Monday, February 28, 2011

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." ~Mark Twain

I got all ready to trace Nate and Lia's final steps and when I headed outside to discover it was raining. Now I might be crazy but I'm not stupid so I'm not going traipsing around the woods in the rain. So instead I snagged my best friend and real life inspiration for the character Amelia and showed her all the places where I grew up. Lincoln isn't as I remember it, but then again when is anything as we remember it. Everything seemed a lot more run down and older. It made made me wonder if it was always so and has been polished with glamour in my mind, or if this has happened in the ten plus years since I left.


Decided to change up where Lia lives. I had taken one of the houses I lived in and placed it where the other house I lived in was, but after seeing them both, I think a lot of the charm of the first house is it being a corner lot. I'd show them to you but Blogger is being difficult and keeps adding them to the top of my post, which looks silly. So if you want to see them, they *are* on my Facebook, in the "Nature Lover Setting" album and I might try to get them on here tomorrow.

Did some more Muse Therapy yesterday and thought it was appropriate that it mentioned going through what I do when I get in a bipolar "I suck" moment, to get back to the "I'm a genius" feeling. Well, isn't this blog and the weekend it represents the perfect answer? I definitely was having doubts that I had bitten off more than i can chew. And there is still a voice in the back of my head asking me if i really want it bad enough (to which I don't know the answer) to put up with Evil edi-turds (to steal a D.D. Scott phrase) tearing me to pieces in front of entire groups of people, and the endless lines of rejection just to get that one shining "Yes! We will publish your book." But I feel I could defend my work as not-crap, which is a fairly good start, right?

Still not sure if I wanna try the self-publishing route or if I'd like to try the "official" route too. Fortunately I have lots of time to make up my mind before I have to make a decision, enough time to watch and see what happens with some of the gang over at HP's Online Writer's Club.
For now, I'm going to spend the day writing and reading. I have a Crit Partner and want to do some of the minor revisions I was going to save for the end so I can pass the first five chapters I have done to her. Nothing to critical, just ideas I had put in that the story didn't follow or a couple more vivid descriptions of places I hadn't seen in over ten years. And so it's back to Microsoft Word with me, with the goal of 3,000 words today. It's completely doable if I just get going and only get on Facebook in the appointed breaks, fifteen minutes after and hour, thrity after two and so forth...







2 comments:

  1. It is hard to revisit the past. It never holds it luster. I think the issue is you see your surroundings with wiser eyes than you did as a child. I rarely go back to my hometown or childhood home, it just makes me sad. I prefer the way I remember it to the way it is.

    Staying off facebook might be harder than the 3000 words ahaha at least it would be for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing and hearing about all your muses!

    ReplyDelete