Monday, May 9, 2011

Creativity

Creativity is as unique as each person. There are many ways to define it and many ways to express it. Merriam-Webster defines creativity as the ability to create. But what does that mean precisely? For some, creativity is making something from nothing. Others think it is turning nothing into something. There are so many ways to express yourself creatively.

Whether your thing is fashion, art, home decorating or writing, there is a way that you express your creativity. What makes it flow? Where does it come from? The answers to these are unique as well. What works for me may not work for you. So let me tell you about my creativity.

Creativity is in my bones, my blood, my very being. Sometimes I feel like if I don't find a way to express myself creatively I will burst. I have many outlets for these impulses: writing, art, beading, hair styling, sewing, plastic canvas and cross stitching.I'm sure there are other's but those are the ones I can think of off the top off my head.

Why am I writing about Creativity? Because I feel like mine is stifled right now. Between my day job, 4 Corners, my life and editing, I feel like my creativity is so divided I don't have any left. This isn't a complaint about any of it, because i love it all and I"m so very glad to have all of it going for me. But I'm tired. I want to start plotting on Second Nature. I want to finish editing Natural Selection. I want to work on a book cover for both Michelle and Bookish Snob. But I sit at the computer and I have no energy or creativity left. I hope I'm just tired and the next few days off will help.

In an effort to work on this Tuesday I will be attempting to unplug. One full day without internet or leaving my house. My plan is to just edit. i want to finish fluffing Natural Selection and I haven't found anything to add in the last two chapters. But they are the smallest chapters in the book so there has to be something I can add. I need to rally my critiquers for ideas I think. But for tonight I'm gonna do some work on my Scribblings book and plot some stuff for Second Nature.

5 comments:

  1. I've been pulling back online as well. There's just too much going on, and I am attempting to create some sort of schedule (I shiver at that word). I don't like them, but it's needed...I need time to think, which for me is taking walks or something like that, and I need the time to actually create! Good luck, and I know that you'll do just fine. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being creative is such a gift. That doesn't mean it's always nice to us, lol, but it's a gift and should be respected. I think it's great that you’re setting boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I have to write, and my need for creativity comes from a desire to find a way to express true, honest truth of every day life in a way that other people can understand. Great post, and beautifully designed blog! Very creative ;)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sarah. I like the way you phrase that.

    ReplyDelete