Monday, September 12, 2011

Character Monday



So for my very first Character Monday, I thought I'd spend some time discussing my favorite characters. And I know I've done this before, so to shake things up, I can only use characters from books I've read in the last six months. And since it seems like a nice round number, we'll go with a top ten list.

10. Kaylee Cavanaugh ~ Soul Screamers Series by Rachel Vincent
Ok, so this one is really stretching the six months mark, but I read a book from the series in May, she just wasn't in it for the most part. I absolutely loved the Soul Screamers books. There are so many werewolves, vampires, and fae out there, it's nice to know I'm not the only on who realizes how much untapped lore is out there. And Kaylee is a very human character that I can relate to. She makes the wrong decisions, is sometimes too hard on people, but it is her flaws that make it easy to connect with her.

9. Miki Kendrick ~ Go Fetch~ Magnus Pack Book 2 ~  Shelly Laurenston
Miki is a kick ass girl who doesn't take crap from anyone, earning her a place on this list. She's tough as nails and not afraid to wade in despite the fact she's severely outgunned. She is fiercely loyal and protective of her friends. The only thing this girl doesn't know how to handle is smoking hot Viking shifter,  Conall VĂ­ga-Feilan. Definitely on the spicy side and not intended for younger readers.

8. Tiff Banks ~ Along Came a Demon~ Linda Welch
Tiff's life has been stunted by her bizarre gift, but nothing could prepare her for the journey she's about to embark on. With a wonderful blend of strength and vulnerability, she sets out to discover who killed one of her neighbors and winds up discovering a whole world she never knew about.

7. Sidney Venery ~ The Kindness of Strangers ~ J.A. Titus
Perhaps I relate to the character more because of my own past, but Sidney's perseverance got her onto this list. Despite her horrible past and continuous setbacks, Sidney somehow manages not only to soldier on but to be optimistic about it. I felt for her every step of the way.

6.Wendy Everly ~ The Trylle Trilogy ~ Amanda Hocking
Say what you want about Hocking, but I truly loved Wendy. Her refusal to give up no matter how many times people told her it was impossible was admirable, but it was her doing what she felt was right despite what her heart said that truly endeared her to me.

5. Jazz Tremaine ~ 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover ~ Linda Welch
A beautiful mix of sassy wit and tough witch, Jazz has a soft spot she doesn't want the world to know about. From chapter one her snarky comments dripping with sarcasm kept me enthralled. And let's be honest, who doesn't love snarky sarcasm?

4. Nicole Keenan ~ Burden of Blood ~ Wenona Hulsey
Nicole has been suffering with her ability to hear the worst thoughts the only way she knows how, by shutting herself away. Watching her struggle as things get weird, you have to admire her strength and her determination. Yet despite the fact that she is locked in a devastating struggle, she refuses to let go of what makes her human.

3. Gwen Sparks ~ Craved ~ Stephanie Nelson
One part sassy witch, one part emotional woman and all parts wonderful, Gwen is fairly well rounded individual. She is still heart broken, but she's not going to stop living her life. As her heart drags her kicking and screaming back into action, she is soft and feminine, but still tough. And she certainly isn't afraid to wade in to trouble to protect the people she cares about.

2. Ree McKenna ~ Mortal Obligation ~ Nichole Chase
In the start, Ree is very soft and vulnerable. It is her ability to adapt and roll with the punches that makes her stand out of the crowd. She wears her heart on her sleeve and is at times terrified, yet she pushes through it. This is what makes her so loveable.

1. Ella Reynolds ~ Dark Corners ~ Liz schulte
Ella is delightfully flawed, and she knows it. And she's ok with it. Her pure stubbornness and refusal to change, despite her own acknowledgement that she is broken makes her one of the my all time favorite characters.

So there you have my top ten favorite characters. It wasn't intentional but they're all leads and all females. Wonder if that says something about me?

Now it's your turn. Who's your favorite character?

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually reading Dark Corners now and I'm beginning to love Ella. Wendy is definitely wonderful and you cannot beat Nichole. Great list!
    I notice you have no men here. Is there a reason for that? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was completely unintentional, but I'm sure Freud would have an opinion... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jazz Tremaine! I just finished Wisdom's fourth book and I loved them all. Ella, Ree and Gwen are also great Characters! Nice blog, Elizabeth :D

    ReplyDelete