Monday, March 11, 2013

Gavin Clearwater of Into the Spiral ~ Character Monday

I'd like to welcome this week Gavin, from Erin Danzer's Into the Spiral


Ok, to get things started, why don’t you tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Gavin Clearwater. I’m 19 and a Lieutenant for the Spiral Defenders, which is a group of warriors who travel through the In Between (essentially, a cross between space and the Faeries’ Veil) to defend the planets of the Spiral. I’m also the queen’s godson. I love my parents. I have two older sisters and a younger brother. And my best friend is a green elf named Kennet.


What makes you tick? What made you who you are today?
I wanted to be a Spiral Defender since I knew what it meant to be one. My dad used to be one, before he became captain of the Royal Guard. I guess it was just instilled in me early on. Upholding the motto of Loyalty, Sovereignty, and Protection of the Common Good is what I strive for every day.


What would you say is your greatest strength?
My loyalty… and fierceness with a sword. There’s a reason they call me a Weapons Master.


Tell me about the person you’re the closest to.
That would be my mom and dad, equally. I hope that’s not lame. We’re a close knit family and I love them dearly. Like I said before, I’ve looked up to my dad my entire life. My mom is actually from Greece; she came to live with my dad in Kalearnia (part of the Spiral) after they met and fell in love during the last recruiting mission to Earth more than 20 years ago. She’s the bravest person I know. My parents’ love is what holds our family together. I hope to have what they have some day.


How do you feel about your life as it is today?
Life is good right now, especially now that I’ve met Ronnie. Granted, the turmoil around the Spiral is getting worse, and there’s a war on the horizon. Still, as soon as Ronnie gets settled into her new lot in life, I’m sure things will continue looking up.


What is the most rewarding thing in your life right now?
Having friends and family who love me. I know, kind of lame. But without them, where would any of us be? If I didn’t have people surrounding me who love me and support me, I would have nothing.


What is your favorite memory?
I have so many. My most recent favorite memory would be when I first saw Ronnie at school. She wouldn’t agree considering she yelled at me, but I’m determined to change her mind on that.


What do you like to do for fun?
Lately, I haven’t had much time for fun, but when I do get a few minutes, I like to read Manga (I blame Ronnie’s best friend, Andi, for this new obsession) or I’ll play with my little brother, Brendan, though that usually turns into sparring now that he’s also training to be a Spiral Defender.


What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
*grins* Ronnie first thing in the morning. Not because of that. Because she asked me to stay since she was home alone and the wraiths kept attacking her. She’s her most beautiful when she first wakes up, her long dark hair all disheveled, her eyes still sleepy. Again, I don’t think she would agree with me, but there it is.


What is your favorite feature in the opposite sex?
Her smile, her bravery, her loyalty.


What kind of music do you like to listen to?
Other than whatever the fairies play at a royal ball, I don’t usually listen to music.


What is your favorite word?
Love. It’s what binds the Spiral together and the glue that holds families together. It truly is the one thing that makes the Spiral go ‘round.


What is your least favorite word?
Deception. Deceit breads disloyalty and shatters relationships. It’s the one thing that could destroy everything I work so hard to defend.


What sound or noise do you love?
*blushes* My name on Ronnie’s lips.


What sound or noise do you hate?
The grunts and growls of gremlins and goblins coming near.


What profession (other than your own) would you like to attempt?
I would open a bookstore and stock it with all of Ronnie’s favorite books. It’s what would make her happy.


What profession would you not like to do?
Cleaning toilets. I don’t think I could ever do that professionally. I had a hard enough time having to do it as a chore growing up.


If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
First of all, I have to say that I don’t believe as Christians do, but I hope that when I die, the Great Father and Mother will welcome me into their arms, tell me I’ve done all I’m supposed to do, and I can continue my next life in the fashion that I choose instead of only what they have planned out for me.


Want to learn a little more about Gavin? You can find him in Erin Danzer's "Into the Spiral.


Fifteen-year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Lambert wants to get out from under her older brother’s shadow. When Ronnie gets a tattoo and then is struck by lightning, she suddenly finds herself able to see and hear things in shadows that don’t appear to others. Then Ronnie meets Gavin Clearwater, the hot new guy in all of her classes and finds out he can see and hear the same things she can.


Gavin tells her about the Spiral Defenders, a group of warriors that travels through space and time to defend the planets of the Spiral. After meeting the Commander of the Spiral Defenders and realizing his intentions might not be pure, Ronnie struggles between following her destiny to become a Spiral Defender and trying to regain the life she had before being struck by lightning.

You can buy it for Kindle, Nooke, iTunes, or other formats.



3 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't see this until today! Thank you for having Gavin on for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gavin, this is your BIGGEST FAN HERE! I can't WAIT to interview you in May! I am swooning over you right now big time! And I'm trying really hard not to go all fan-girl over here! You're awesome, and Ronnie is super lucky to have you! I wish you both all the happiness in the world :)

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete