Friday, April 19, 2013

Interview with author Misty Provencher


Today I'm happy to welcome Misty Provencher, author of Cornerstone, Mercy, and other titles. I got a chance to ask Misty some questions, and am happy to share the details with you. 

Ok, to get things started, why don’t you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m Misty.  I’ve got such an obsession with words.  I follow them around endlessly, until I’ve worn them down enough that they tell me their stories.

What makes you tick? What made you who you are today?
I would say peanut butter is primarily responsible for moving my gears.  I love the stuff and used to eat it for every breakfast and lunch until I was deep in my twenties.  Good times.
What made me what I amhmmI was a runaway, and I think that gave me solid idea of how and why I should constantly shift around paradigms.  My husband and kids have created a great deal of me too.  I believe they make me one of the very best versions of who I am and who I can be,  every single day.  Thank God for them.

What would you say is your greatest strength?
I love people and I love writing.  Two great things that go together like peanut butter and soup spoons.

Tell me about the person you’re the closest to.
There’s this guy.  He rubs my head so I can go to sleep each night, and he makes me laugh.  I can tell him anything in the world and, usually, he gets it.  He doesn’t tell anyone my weaknesses, but he knows them all.  And, even in our worst moments with each other, he never uses the worst parts of me against myself.  I wish every woman could be married to him, but I’m grateful every day of my life that I’m the one who has him.

How do you feel about your life as it is today?
I had always thought I’d max out at sixteen, so every day is a gift.  Sometimes it’s still a struggle to accept it, sometimes it seems to belong in the re-gifting pile, but it is a gift, none the less and most days, it’s exactly what I’ve always wanted.

What is the most rewarding thing in your life right now?
Aside from my family?  My writing career is finally taking off, and I’m constantly thrilled to hear from people who have found joy in my work.  That’s huge-osity.  To positively affect another human being?  Bring them some joy, some emotional oomph?  Yeah, baby.  That’s the gold medal I want.

What is your favorite memory?
I’ve got bags full of them, but I assume you’d like a writing memory?  A particularly good one came from the blog post I made, in which I began releasing Cornerstone to the world, for free.  I was overwhelmed with the extreme outpouring of utter kindness, concern and support.  I was absolutely blown away by the amazing kindness of strangers.  I felt like I was being lifted up and held on everyone else’s shoulders.  I was a pretty broken chick at that moment, and strangers came to support me, heal me.  Dang, that’s such a beautiful memory.

What’s Your Worst?
Nah.  It’s more fun to dwell on the greatest hits instead.

What do you like to do for fun?
I carouse the office supply aisles, I buy colored sticky notes and Moleskins and I rush home and GET FUNK-AY with them.  You should see what I do with really good, inky pens.  CRAZINESS, I TELL YOU.

What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
Dude, you don’t have to beg me for my birth stories.  I’ll send you pictures.

What is your favorite feature in the opposite sex?
Ohhhhhhh, so so much.  I love that men are men.  Especially when they’re gentlemen.  I love that they’re all testosterony and stupid about their remote controls and bathed in awesome colognes.  I find it utterly adorable that they are confused by make-up and girl talk, shoes and chick flicks.  I am mesmerized with the how they can do more than one pull up, how they can be so volatile, and I am enchanted with how a man allows a woman to tame him.  Talk about sexy.
I am in love with the differences between us - that we are, and will always be, somewhat of a mystery to one another.  Keeps it fun.

What kind of music do you like to listen to?
All of it.  I eat lyrics with peanut butter on them. 

What is your favorite word?
I can’t say it here.  Let’s just say I was raised by a sailor (literally) and I have found an appreciation for a certain expletive that is flexible enough to (with proper intonation) explain, express, and accurately transport absolute understanding of just about every emotion in the spectrum.

What is your least favorite word?
Oh, nobody puts a word in the corner when I’m around.  I make sure they all get a turn to dance.

What turns you on?
Heh heh.  Eh hem. 
The list is frighteningly long and full of indescribable moments that suddenly happen and can never happen again.  Like once, my boyfriend was getting ready to do the dishes.  He filled the sink with water and lifted his wrist.  He unbuckled the strap of his watch and laid it to the side.  That was it.  And it still gives me shivers to think of it.  Ridiculous huh?  I’m sad that I can’t accurately capture for you the way the shadows on his face created something like art, how appealing his level of unawareness was and how sexy it was to watch his fingers move, or and I mean, DAHHH  UhM - the way the sun came through the window to accent his muscles shifting beneath his shirt.  But if I could, my friends, you’d all be dry humping the computer screen.  Guaranteed.  That’s what keeps me writing- I’m always chasing that dragon down with a quiver full of words.

What turns you off?
Cinchy.  Fruit gnats, wrists (I can’t look at them, ew gross), and math.

What sound or noise do you love?
I’m a fan of all things audio.  Music, laughter, the way voices shift like bodies making love, car hornsit all means life is still out there, just waiting for me.

What sound or noise do you hate?
Oh, there’s one.  A mind that has shut all its windows and doors, while I’m knocking.  The sound of the un-greeted knocking makes me sad.

What is your favorite curse word?
Oh, you tricky girl.  I already didn’t tell you six questions ago.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
I’m doing everything I can  just to get a sincere ‘Well done’.  But I’d settle for, “C’mon in.  We’re having peanut butter.”

Wanna learn more? You can learn more about Misty and her books on her blog, Facebook, or Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment