Thursday, June 23, 2011

LiveScribe Echo

I have always written long hand. I got my first computer when I was already old enough to drink, so by that time my writing habits were pretty set. The problem is I hate transcribing. I'm a crappy typist at best. I have taken numerous touch typing courses and I still can't get the hang of it. I spend alot of my time looking at where my fingers are and because of it I'm  not the fastest typist. This gets really hard when you add a third thing, a piece of paper I have to look at.

But writing entirely on my computer creates a different problem all together. There are too many distractions and many of my friends keep in touch with me online. So when I am working on my writing, I have Facebook open in a browser. I tend to try working on multiple projects at once, getting nothing accomplished. There has to be some middle ground, right?

Well yesterday I think I found it. I purchased the LiveScribe pen and so far it's a Godsend. I was able to write 719 words while watching television. But that's just another distraction you say? ah, but it's not a distraction when watching television is what you set out to do and you just happen to write while you're at it. Imagine what I can do with my full mind concentration!

So how's work? There's special notebooks full of special dot paper that the pen recognizes. You write normally. When you're done, you hook the pen up to your computer where it opens in the LiveScribe desktop. To convert your handwriting to typed text, you have to download an app through Livescribe called MyScript. Apps are not cheap, but $30 with the 15% off coupon it comes with isn't unbearable. It would have been nice to know this BEFORE I bought the pen. There was a lot of frustration getting the two to cooperate,  and I honestly don't know how I fixed it, but in the end it worked and that's all I care about. do I recommend this system to other writers? Maybe. IF you prefer to write longhand AND you have some money to play with AND you have patience to copy and paste the text into Word, then yes, this is a good way to do it. If you possess self discipline and can make yourself turn off the social networking and hoe the ground in front of you, save your money. But if you like me, need to completely disconnect to write at times, this could be the solution you've been waiting for.

Wanna know more about LiveScribe? Click here to check out there site, or click the link above to go straight to the pen I bought. Please don't just get it cause I said so. Do your homework and make sure it's the right choice for you....

26 comments:

  1. I've seen one of these and thought it was a brilliant idea. My problem is I wouldn't be able to write fast enough. I type faster but I agree, social media just sucks me in! Hope it works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love techy toys like this. But I do type really fast,so it doesn't sound like a necessary thing for me. Still, I Gotta Have It! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting as I hand write everything first not because the computer is distracting but for me, it's just too sterile. I can't get a word written with the screen just staring back at me! LOL

    Thanks for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!
    रोमांटिक शायरी हिंदी में लिखी हुई
    शायरी बेवफा, bewafa shayari
    सैड शायरी, sad shayari
    हिंदी शायरी, hindi shayari

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to thank you for writing such a well written, informative, and entertaining article. You are a very talented writer and I look forward to reading your future articles. Also, please know that the team at Royal rider Company is always here to help with any of your travel needs, including our bus rental dubai Bus rental Bus rental in dubai Dubai Sightseeing bus rental with Driver staff transportation bus rental abu dhabi airport transfer bus rental sharjah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen one of these and thought it was a brilliant idea. My problem is I wouldn't be able to write fast enough

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen one of these and thought it was a brilliant idea.

    Visit Berwick Towing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buy the essential Handbook of General Anatomy PDF 6th Edition from Medtree. Your journey to medical expertise begins here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buy the latest Guyton and Hall 3rd South Asian Edition at Medtree. Your one-stop medical book destination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking for the best Orthodontist Malden MA? Experience superior dental care with Tabrizi! Your smile is our mission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. Great one. You have mentioned some excellent points and love to read your articles. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and ideas. Keep writing good things and Good Luck!
    Car removal Perth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the valuable information you provide on your articles.
    Places to visit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Experience the top teeth whitening service in Malden. Brighten your smile to its best. Visit us today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Efficiency starts with inventory management. Learn why ERP systems are crucial for used solar panel companies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://somesharpwords.blogspot.com/2011/06/livescribe-echo.html?sc=1703500187491#c3733611517439568634

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heating gel bag from Ortho now available! Samson products at Medtree.co.in. Alleviate pain and discomfort today!

    ReplyDelete