1) Some characters come complete with a name. When I created the characters that eventually got cast in Natural Selection, most of them came with a name already attached. Admittedly they all got changed when they moved, but there wasn't conscious thought of "I name you this" at the time it was just part of them.
2) Sometimes I just need a moment to reflect and the perfect name jumps out at me. I ove that ah ha moment, but the more I write, the more characters I create, the harder this gets.
3) BabyNames.com has a list of the 50 most popular names for both boys and girls. If I'm looking for a general name it is often from this list. At number six you might find a familiar name, and 17 is her middle name. ;)
4) 2,000 Names from Around the World is the site I use when looking for a name with a specific ethnicity or heritage to it. It is responsible for the names in works I haven't yet shared with the world.
5) My newest method, that works when I have no internet access. I grab a random magazine and open to a random page and use the first appropriate name I find. This happens twice in Second Nature. Bob Dylan and Russell Brand won't mind if I borrow their names, would they? ;)
These are the main ways I name my characters. How about you? How do you name yours?