Saturday, June 4, 2011

On Stock art...

So today I wanted to talk about stock art. I have been a member at Deviantart for a long time and am very aware of their stock photos. As a digital artist, these are my bread and butter. I understand there are a lot of authors wanting to use stock art from DA but aren't getting any response or permission. Her's my thoughts.

  • Read their rules. Some of the photographers say "note if used off DA" or "Note if downloading for commercial use" but they say nothing about waiting for a response. So send a note and you're good. Let them no the name of the piece, the name of the book. If you need to, give them the credit in your legalese page.
  • Don't be afraid to strike up a relationship. I have a couple of stock artists that i will always check first when looking for stock because I'm comfortable that their rules either allow for me to use their stock or they will respond in a reasonable amount of time.
  • If you have noted and gotten no response after a long period of time, made every reasonable attempt to get in contact with the artist (I try and Google or Facebook the author as well as note them again on DA) I say that can't care too highly if they abandoned it like they did.. They knowingly left their art in a format that can be downloaded in high resolution, and make no effort to check for contacts, they probably aren't going to care how it's used. If this is the case I would DEFINITELY list the stock artist on our legal page. 
The use of fantasy art on book covers is as new as the e-revolution in publishing, so we are not entirely certain how this will play out. I am not a lawyer and one could very easily disagree with what I've written if so, don't do it! lol In closing I'm going to link you to the stock artists I like, who i have gotten permission to use stock for covers without any trouble. If you can afford to, please donate to these wonderful artists because they are wonderful artists. Don't feel guilty if you can't, that's why it's a voluntary donation. I have only thrown in pennies myself. Anyway, here's the good stuff....

Kxhara - I used her in my witchy picture, and since I comment on all of her work and follow her blog. I like to think I have a relationship with her, and I hope she feels the same... 

Mjranum Aside from his rules cracking me up, they are very fair and straightforward. If you are easily offended beware as his work is often mature...

Liam-stock I have never gotten a response, despite the number of times I have noted her, but her photos are phenomenal...

There are so many more, but these are the first three I check when looking for stock art. I'm also fond of Deposit photo because of their reasonable prices and great selection...

3 comments:

  1. Hey E! This post couldn't have come at a better time. I was thinking about messaging you questions to things you just answered in your post. ESP, maybe? ;) Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to help, NIchole. I need to go back in and add www.4cornerspress.com has a photo gallery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, E! It can be hard to find exactly what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete